Pre-Loading Trailer Wheel Bearings
Pre Loading Bearings:
- Whenever you install new hubs or new bearings and races into an old hub, you should pre-load the bearings. Pre-loading the bearings assures that the races in the hubs are 100% in place against their machined stop points and keeps the hub from wobbling after a few miles.
- To pre-load the bearings, install the spindle washer and spindle nut onto the spindle with the hub and bearings in place.
- Tighten the spindle nut finger tight (until snug) and then with channel-lock pliers or a crescent wrench, tighten the spindle nut another 1/4 turn or about 15 to 20 ft pounds of torque.
- Now turn the hub ten revolutions. This will fully seat the races.
- Now loosen the spindle nut very loose, then re-snug to finger tight, and engage the nut retaining device (some reverse lubricating spindles use a tab washer for the retaining device).