Torsion Axles FAQ and Forms
Torsion axles are a common type of suspension on many trailers today. However, being common does not mean that those axles are all the same. In fact, torsion axles can have as many variations as a spring axle ranging from different tube styles, arm degrees, brand particular to certain manufacturers. Almost all type of utility trailer will have the Torflex axle while boat trailers will have a larger selection on the design and are typically zinc or galvanized. It can be a little crazy and confusing to those that are not familiar with the terminology that you will see on these order sheets or what questions are asked to determine what axle is on your trailer .
Well, here at Champion we are going to do our best to make it easy on our customers who are needing a price on an axle or are ready to order that axle. So, let’s dive into the world of trailer torsion axles together!
1) First thing first is to determine the style of trailer you have.
- Utility, Flat Bed, Car Hauler, and Enclosed- Most of these trailers will have the Dexter Torflex axles.
- Boat Trailer- These could have torsion axles manufactured by Tie Down Engineering, Rockwell American, UFP, and EZ Loader. While Dexter does own Tie Down, Rockwell American, and UFP you will need to determine which brand you have prior to filling out any of our attached forms.
2) Let’s see what type of torsion axle we have for our boat trailer.
- The Tie Down Engineering/ Dexter Torsion Axle will have a castle style spindle nut at the back end of the spindle where it slides into the torsion arm. This style is only found on the Eliminator torsion axle.
- The UFP/Dexter Torsion Axle will have a bolt through the top of the arm right at section the arm meets the axle tubing. These UFP axles are found on most Magic Tilt trailers with torsion suspension
- Rockwell American/Dexter Torsion Axle will not have any type of removeable spindle or arm. These are fixed in the arm and will have RA stamped somewhere on the arm.
- Torsion Axles manufactured by EZ Loader are only used for that brand of trailer and a VIN number is what is used to determine the axle need. Hurray for no forms!
3) Forms and Information. Dexter, Rockwell, Magic Tilt, Tie Down, and Magic Tilt will not sell to the public directly. You must go through a dealer. Please do not send these forms directly to the manufacturer as they will not respond.
- This is where you need to make certain that you have all the correct information for your axle as many of the torsions are “Special Ordered or Manufactured” and that means no returns. The forms to request pricing or to order the axles are below. If you have questions regarding the forms, please contact our office at 1-800-229-6690
4) Please make sure to fill out the form and email it to us at email@example.com
Rockwell American Torsion Axles